A Flute Workshop in Carrión de los Condes. The Heart of the Camino de Santiago.
THE 2017 CAMINO FLUTE SUMMER SESSION IS SOLD OUT
Date: July 24th, 2017 through Saturday July 29th
Location: Palencia, Spain
THE 2017 CAMINO FLUTE SUMMER SESSION IS SOLD OUT
ABOUT THE WORKSHOP
Welcome to Camino Flute, an intensive six-day workshop for flutists. Our flute workshop will provide significant exposure to Performance, Technique, Styles and musicianship skills. Participation in master classes and ensembles is organized according to individual skill levels. There will be special sessions on topics like recital preparation, technique, performance, flute quartet. Regardless of ability level, everyone can play more musically!
We will offer evening concerts on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday by the Faculty and attending students. This workshop gives you the opportunity to perform for a new audience during your visit to Carrión and to perform for the Pilgrims on their way to Santiago de Compostela. The venues are Romanesque Churches dating from XI to the XII Century with beautiful acoustics and perfect settings. You will have a new audience every night from all over the world!!!
The workshop is a rich environment of players from all ages and geographical locations. Great experience in Spanish Cultural immersion and language. The common denominator is love for the flute. In general, required camp activities take place from 10am-5:20pm (Break from 1 to 3 for the traditional lunch and siesta). Due to the short time span of this workshop, there may be some night activities as well. Participants should have at least one year of serious study on the flute.
The goal of the workshop is to give students a high-level musical experience in a rich cultural environment that will include new tools and ideas that they can carry forward into their current musical studies.
ABOUT CARRIÓN DE LOS CONDES, PALENCIA, SPAIN
A town of great importance at the time of the old pilgrimages to Santiago de Compostela. Its medieval origins can be seen in some of the historic buildings and in the old town. The most characteristic building of Carrión de los Condes is the church of Santiago, famous for its splendid Panthocrator. Also significant are the frieze in the church of Santa María del Camino, embellished by an Adoración de los Magos; and the convent of Santa Clara, founded in the 13th century, with an adjoining church and museum which displays sculpture and ornaments, as well as a Piedad by Gregorio Fernández. On the outskirts of the city, near the medieval bridge, is the monastery of San Zoilo, a former pilgrims’ shelter started in the 10th century. Its Renaissance cloister is outstanding, a genuine ornamental and technical wonder which is the work of Juan de Badajoz.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
Eligibility: All serious flute enthusiasts.
Ability Level: All levels. Intermediate and advanced players will be given priority.
Workshop Cost: $500 workshop cost includes tuition and non-refundable $50 application fee (no housing or meals). Registration will close on July 1, 2017.
Check in: Monday July 24th, 2017 from 9:00-10:00 am. Colegio Nacional. Calle Hortaleza (does not have a phone number). All attendees must check-in. If you cannot arrive during the designated time due to extenuating circumstances, arrangements must be made in advance with the organizers. You will be informed in advance of any change in the schedule and meeting place.
Final Concert: Saturday in the “Iglesia de Santa Maria”. (7-7:45 pm) in Carrión de los Condes.
What to Bring: flute, music stand, music
From Madrid: Take Train to Palencia (Renfe) and bus to Carrion. (Bus runs 4 times a day from the bus station close by) There is no bus service on Sunday. http://estebanezaja.es/
From Burgos and Leon: Bus that runs from Burgos-Leon/ Leon-Burgos stopping in Carrión (one a day) http://www.alsa.es/
Taxi: From Palencia around 40€
- Hotel “Real Monasterio de San Zoilo”. Tel. 979 880 050/ 979 881 090 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hostal Santiago. Tel. 979 881 052/ 699 20 43 49 www.hostalsantiago.es
- Hostal La Corte. Tel. 979 880 138 (for seven days 5% discount) (3 meals plus room 45 €) www.hostallacorte.com
- Hostal Albe. Tel. 979 880 913/ 699 094 185 (25€ per night discount) email@example.com
- Pension “Real Monasterio de Santa Clara”. Tel. 979 880 134/ 979 880 994 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Pension “El Resbalon”. Tel. 979 880 433
- Apartamentos “Casa Tia Paula”. Tel. 979 880 331 email@example.com
- Casa Rural “La Abuela Maye”. Tel. 979 741 587/ 616 034 152 http://www.toprural.co.uk/Self-catering/La-Abuela-Maye-Y-Me_20514_f.html
- Casa de Espiritualidad “Nuestra Señora de Belen”. (Filipenses). Tel. 979 880 031 (22 € to 28€ per night) firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
- Albergue “Rio Carrion”. Tel. 979 881 063 www.albergueriocarrion.com
Where to Eat:
- Asador “El Doblon”. Tel. 979 880 429
- Restaurante “Las Vigas”. Tel. 979 880 050
- Restaurante “Abel”. Tel. 669 242 163
- Restaurante “Meson El Porton”. Tel. 979 880 559
- Cafeteria Meson “Conde Garay”. Tel. 979 880 527
- Bodegon “El Resbalon”. Tel. 979 880 799
- Hamburgueseria “El Rincon”. Tel. 979 880 456
- Bar “Sol”. Tel. 979 880 550
- Restaurante “La Corte”. Tel. 979 880 138
- Ayuntamiento de Carrion. Tel. 979 880 259
- Centro Medico. Tel. 979 880 245/ 979 880 260
- Farmacias. Tel. 979 880 266/ 979 880 333
- Guardia Civil. Tel. 979 880 003
- Taxis. Tel. 608 486 059/ 979 880 414/ 979 881 087
- Correos. Tel. 979 880 345
Sample Daily Schedule: (May change without notice. We will adapt the schedule according to the needs of students.)
10:00-10:50 / Flute Master Class
11:00-11:50 / Flute Ensemble (Variety of Duos, Trios and Quartets) Music will be provided via email ahead of time.
12:00-1:30 / Individual Lesson (Half an Hour per Student on rotation)
1:30-2:00 / Lunch Break
2:30-2:40 / Spanish Mandatory siesta.
3:30-5:00 / Individual Lesson (Half an Hour per Student on rotation)
5:00-6:00 / Ensemble (depending on how the ensemble is progressing we could use this hour to visit the Roman Villa and on Thursday Night that we have no concert and we would organize a road trip to Saldaña and a night out)
6:00-6:50 / Relax time.
7:00-7:45 / Concerts (Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday)
8:00-10:00 / Dinner
10:00-11:00 / Get together and perform for each other in a relax environment.
Cancellations made before July 10 will be reimbursed the workshop cost minus the $50 application fee. If paid by check the full amount will be reimbursed in its totality. If you cannot attend due to extenuating circumstances, arrangements must be made with the organizers. Our goal is to make of the workshop a great experience overall and we will accommodate your needs.
Questions? Please submit a contact request below.